In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Gorham Historical Society

Gorham Academy in 1886

Contributed by Gorham Historical Society
MMN Item 15701 Item Details
Gorham Academy in 1886
MMN Item 15701 Zoom

Description

The Gorham Academy, which opened in 1806, was built by Samuel Elder on land donated by Thomas McLellan.

The Georgian-style building originally "fitted boys for college," and later became jointly organized with the female seminary. When public education developed, it was leased to the Normal School on School Street and later became part of the University of Southern Maine.

Printed on the back: "expressly designed for the 150th Anniversary of Gorham, Maine, May 26, 1886."

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.