In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Gorham Historical Society

Gorham Academy ca. 1990

Contributed by Gorham Historical Society
MMN Item 15698 Item Details
Gorham Academy ca. 1990
MMN Item 15698 Zoom

Description

The Gorham Academy opened in 1806. Thomas McLellan gave an acre of land on which to erect the academy. Samuel Elder contracted to put up the wooden building, 50 feet long, 40 feet wide, two stories high with a cupola for a bell. This was the first bell hung in Gorham.

It was one of Gorham's best examples of Georgian architecture in New England. It originally "fitted boys for college," and later became jointly organized with the femaie seminary. When public education developed, it was leased to the Normal School on School Street and is now (2004) part of the University of Southern Maine.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.